Search Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Apple Picking 101

I'd like to share a story a wise man once told me...

Your life is an apple tree with opportunities growing along every branch.  Which are the easiest to pick? You could easily pick up those that have fallen to the ground.  They may be old, wrinkled, bruised - or filled with creepy crawlies.  You may even reach along the lower branches to find apples that dull in color or small from lack of sunlight.  Many of these may be have been picked up by other critters near the tree and left behind because they weren't quite as tasty as one would hope for.

Or...

You could grab hold of the branches and climb to the top.  Every reach gets you closer to the best and brightest apples in the tree.  These are the apples that are untainted, large and juicy, and will definitely yield the best results.

Climbing is dangerous.  You may fall and need to start again.  You may get scratched or rip your clothing. ...So grab a ladder.

I'm hoping this blog will be a ladder to teachers - old and new.  I'm still new, but I've climbed a long way. I've picked some pretty good Apples and rather than keeping them to myself - I've decided to share of their sweetness. And share them for FREE.

Teaching takes time. If you're reading this blog - you're proving that point.  Honestly, I've taken a lot of time to prepare these lessons, games, unit plans, etc.  But just as it takes time and effort to pick the best apples - it takes time and effort to be an excellent teacher.  And I'm hoping to one day reach the top of the tree.

So, enjoy my Apples and please pay it forward by sharing with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment