Search Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Celebrating Art Contest

You know those annoying flyers you get in your mailbox about stupid writing or art contests your kids can enter?  Don't throw them away.  They make excellent fast finishers.

When my high-achieving students finished with their independent work and come ask, "What do I do now?" - my usual response was one of the following:
  1. "Go read."
  2. "Go write in your journal."
  3. "Go draw or color."
How lame is that? Even students who enjoy reading, writing, or art aren't going to be motivated to do anything worthwhile.  That's where a contest comes in!

When I get word of a new contest, I announce the guidelines and possible prizes. (I've noticed that kids are definitely more motivated when MONEY and/or iPODS are involved!)  You'll also need to be sure to set the expectation that this a Fast Finisher project and should only be worked on if all required assignments are completed.

This year, ten of my students entered the Celebrating Art Contest and a few entered the Poetic Power Contest.  All of a sudden - students are proud of their work and excited to have time to work on independent projects.   Now the question isn't, "What do I do now?" - it's "When's the deadline?"
 
Lion, 2011, chalk
Just last week, one of my students received a postcard in the mail - informing her that her chalk drawing "Lion" would be published this fall in a hardcover coffee table book of elementary art.  I'm obviously proud of her as an artist, but equally proud that I thought to give her that opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment